Monthly PTA Meetings
- You do NOT have to be a PTA member to attend the monthly PTA Meetings.
- For everyone interested in hearing about what’s going on at Bixby.
- The meeting is usually scheduled for the second Tuesday of each month (none in December) and is held in the cafeteria, with pizza and drinks served at 6:15pm, and the meeting beginning at 6:30pm.
- The PTA Board presents minutes from the previous meeting as well as the proposed budget, and discusses any ongoing business and upcoming plans.
- Bixby parents and teachers are invited to discuss upcoming events and ask questions, and sometimes we have a guest speaker or two.
Bixby Monday Morning Assemblies
- Every Monday at 8am
- All students gather with their classes on the playground.
- Our principal gets us motivated, and various classes perform the weekly opening presentations.
- On the first Monday of each month, we have a Call To Order to celebrate our Students of the Month.
- First major fundraiser of the school year.
- Varies (past includes Signature Wrapping Paper, Charleston, or chocolates and cookie dough or first aid kits).
- Runs for approximately two weeks.
- Percentage of all purchases goes back to Bixby.
- Late September evening fun for all Bixby families!
- Bring a blanket, chairs, and your family and gather together on the lawn near the lunch benches.
- Meet other families and enjoy fun events, such as: Music, Face Painting, food trucks, activities, a raffle, and more!
- The PTA always welcomes any donations or help you can provide on the afternoon/evening of the event.
- Bixby’s Student Council decides on Spirit Days and themes each school year.
- During school, on designated days, students have the opportunity to dress out of the ordinary.
- Some examples of Spirit Days are:
- Free Dress Day: no uniform required
- Twin Day: dress up as twins or triplets with friends
- Color Day: dress up according to your grade level’s assigned color
- Sports Day: wear your favorite sports team shirt or jersey
- Pajama Day: wear pajamas
- Western Day: wear western cowboy/girl gear
- Blast to the Past Day: dress up in 50’s, 60’s, 70’s,etc.
- And more!
B.A.S.E. Clubs (Bixby After School Enrichment Clubs)
- Provided by the Bixby PTA for students for some after school fun
- Mrs. Parker and volunteers put together a great selection of clubs
- Clubs are held once a week for 4 weeks and last for 1 hour.
- The club leader/teacher will collect your child from either the playground, WRAP, or Kids’ Club after school at the club’s starting time.
- They will also return your child to WRAP or Kids’ Club when the club ends.
- $20.00 and a completed application form (along with any applicable materials fees) reserves your child a spot.
- Scholarship forms are available in the front office, and can be used once a year.
- During a designated set of hours on a designated evening, a percentage of your meal purchases goes back to Bixby.
- Some years we have a McTeacher Night at the local McDonalds (where teachers and staff help serve students and guests their food orders, and a percentage goes back to Bixby!).
- Other restaurant fundraisers have been at Polly’s Pies, Ruby’s Diner, and The MarketPlace.
- Would you be able to solicit local restaurants to see when we can do a fundraiser at their location?Let us know at TalktotheBeaver@gmail.com
- Fall and Spring Fundraisers.
- Held during school hours, and after school during Open House.
- Parents, students, and teachers shop for all sorts of books and other fun items, and help Support Bixby’s PTA!
- Held at the end of October
- Students can dress up in costume (after class) and join classmates and faculty to play festival games for prizes and spend Beaver Buckaroos on popcorn or cotton candy.
- Volunteer parents also decorate the trunks of their cars and the students participate in an eventful “Trunk or Treat.”
- Many volunteers are needed for this fundraiser!
Bixby Fit-A-Thon (Spring Fundraiser)
- Largest and most important fundraiser of the year.
- Since the costs are so low (most prizes/time are donated), the school keeps nearly 100% of the money collected!
- Every student participates in 30 minutes of activities at several fun stations (hula hoop, basketball, zumba, etc.), while music plays and parents and teachers cheer the students on.
- Prizes are based on the amount of donations earned by each student, and are cumulative (Example: $10 earns a small prize and a Free Dress Pass. $20 will receive the above, plus an In-N-Out gift certificate, etc.).
- Many volunteers are needed for this fundraiser!
- Once a year in Springtime, a published Author comes to Bixby and shares their journey of writing with Bixby kids.
- This is a great opportunity for parents to join in, and to buy a signed copy of the Author’s book!
Bixby Beautification Days
- On scheduled weekends, in the cooler mornings, parents meet in front of the Bixby main office on Stearns
- They help keep Bixby clean and beautiful by planting, weeding and cleaning the Bixby grounds.
Bixby Rewards Store
- Every first Thursday and Friday of the month the Bixby Beaver Student Store is open
- Managed by volunteer parents during lunchtime or after school
- Students take their earned Beaver Buckaroos to buy fun items like erasers & stickers
Ongoing Bixby Fundraisers
- Are you on Facebook? This page is an informative, up-to-the-minute Bixby parent-run page made for other busy Bixby parents just like you!
- “Like” this page at www.Facebook.com/BixbyElementary to stay up-to-date on information, announcements, and school reminders.
- If you have ideas for this page’s Facebook content, contact email@example.com
- You can also find Bixby Beavers on Twitter: @bixbybeavers.
School/District Wide Events: For questions on any of the events listed below, call the Bixby Main Office at: (562) 498-3794. Before we describe these events to you, here’s a snapshot from the District site, listing some important District-based event dates for School Year 2015-16:
Back to School Night
- Held after school/evening at the beginning of the school year.
- This is a night for parents to visit their children’s classes, meet the teachers and staff, and learn about the Bixby Way!
- It’s also a good time to sign up and learn about VIPS (volunteering in public schools) and Room Rep volunteer time.
- LBUSD holds an annual Science event promoting science projects.
- Bixby participates every other year.
- Students follow teacher specific guidelines and perform science experiments.
- A percentage of students’ projects are chosen by Bixby judges to be shown at a later date at the LBUSD District Science Fair. Those experiments chosen at Bixby are also on display at Bixby’s Open House in the Bixby Cafeteria.
- On the years that Bixby does not participate in the Science Fair, we arrange for an art competition, and the students’ artwork is displayed at Bixby’s Open House in the Bixby Cafeteria.
- This is an after-school event held in May
- A chance for all parents to see what their children have accomplished through the school year!
- Visit the classrooms and see your child’s projects and development.
Teacher Appreciation Week/Day
- Once a year the PTA arranges a themed lunch for the teachers, along with gifts and awards.
- Students are encouraged to bring special items during the week working up to Teacher Appreciation Day (e.g., a flower on Monday, a picture on Tuesday, etc.).
- Information will be sent home ahead of time.
- Annual LBUSD event for students, grades 1-5. High scorers compete with other LBUSD schools.
- One week during the school year, students are taught about the importance of being drug free.
- Each day of the week has a theme (such as “Sock it to drugs” when they wear colorful socks, or “Put a cap on drugs” when they get to wear a hat), and the end of the week involves an assembly and a “Red Ribbon Pledge.”
- Parent volunteers decorate the school with red ribbons for the week.
SBAC (Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium) Testing
- Performed statewide for students in grades two through five in the areas of language arts, mathematics and science
- Measure student progress toward college- and career-readiness.
- An assessment system aligned to the Common Core State Standards
- held after approximately 85% of the instructional year is completed.
- For grades K-5: before- and after-school care, for a reasonable fee.
- Free for grades 1-5: after-school care only, with requirements (pick-up times, attendance).
*Events are subject to date/time changes or cancellations.
How can YOU help? Let us know your ideas and opinions:[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]